Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Feeding the Whole Person

Several times a week at the nursing home where I work, a gentleman comes in to have lunch with his wife.  About an hour before the meal they sit in the library, read the paper, listen to music and go on facebook to check out what's going on with family and friends.


As I was walking through the library one day the husband looked at me, smiled, and said "You have to feed the whole person".


This was not a new concept for me, but I know it is really hard to "feed the whole person" when they are in a nursing home.  What touched me was that this gentleman, to the best of his ability, was making sure that the "whole person" of his loved one was taken care of.


Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in giving until you have nothing left.  I believe in people being responsible for their own happiness.  However, if we all took a minute to think of those we care about and if we can help them to "feed their whole person" what a better life this would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment